Sunday 11 October 2015

SUNDAY 11TH – REST DAY IN DARWIN



I know that I indicated that I wouldn't be doing a blog until we were on the ship but Trish has suggested I do one so, of course, I comply.

This morning we went and toured the Darwin Tunnels, a fascinating piece of Darwin history. During the second world war, Darwin had all its fuel storage in large tanks on the waterfront which were, as you would expect, the prime targets of the Japanese bombing raids so they embarked on an ambitious scheme to build underground tanks Fortunately the war ended before the tanks were complete. One of them was used for fuel storage for a while after the war but they remained neglected until 1992 when part of them was opened up and adapted as a tourist attraction. Very interesting.

Otherwise yesterday was a rest day.

Tomorrow Mark and Ceris arrive and we head off or the cruise on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment